Living in Trump Country

So I live in America. The county, the town I live in are places with a lot of support for Donald Trump. A lot of guns, a lot of g^d, not a lot of acceptance of the Other.

And yet, every individual I've met is a nice person. Haven't met any ugly people. If you're pulled over on the side of the road, they stop and offer help. They will pull your car out of the ditch. They'll help you in any way you can. So the stereotype of a Trump supporter doesn't stand examination.

There's two radio stations I can sometimes get. One is NPR, the other is a local AM station that features Rush and his cohort. Not a lot of middle ground.

When I talk with locals, they're reasonable people. You would like to have them as neighbors. You'd like to have them as the family your child married into.

There's a lot of respect for Veterans and for the local fire company's volunteers.

When the Buttons pop up - topics such as guns, religion, taxes, diversity, discrimination, racism - the bridge between us rapidly falls away. It's is not that They're closeminded and I am not; we're all polarized.

My family willingly came over on boats. Generally, so did theirs. But this "send them back, send them back" routine is too much for me, and acceptable to them. And the radio eggs them on.