Meatspace Update: Add Parkinson's Disease

red tulips,  emblem of parkinson's disease

This is, by theme, my Mental Health Blog. Sometimes, physical health affects mental health. Current advances in neurology make it difficult to separate exactly what's mental and what's physical.

Thursday I got the word to add early Parkinson's Disease to my list of physical issues. My symptoms are beginning with cogwheel rigidity of the left hand, thank you very much. My neurologist made the call, and I think he is a rock star.

This is such a pain in the ass. I am exactly at the mean age of onset. Smokers face a reduced risk of Parkinson's! I should have smoked. Mortality is 7 to 14 years, with the last three years spent in relative incapacitation.

I don't mind dying, I really don't. I do mind not being able to ride a bike. I mind being dependent on the care of others. Possible a CatTrike recumbent trike will get me another year.

    My physical health issues include:
  • Type 2 Insulin Dependent Diabetes
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Seizure Disorder
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Neuropathy

  • Skin Cancer
 

    My mental health issues include:
  • PTSD
  • Major Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Mild Psychosis (hallucination)
  • Anhedonia (loss of pleasure)